Tuesday, April 03, 2007

FLASHBACK: "Wrestling Observer Newsletter" on-line letters column, May 5, 2006

Waylon Mercy

APTER MAGS


Dave,

You've probably been asked this hoary old chestnut before, but I can't recall reading an answer on it, so I'll ask again: in the old Apter mags, were "journalists" Liz Hunter, Eddie Ellner, Dan Shocket and Matt Brock all fictional?

On another matter, Waylon Mercy (played by Danny Spivey) was one of the greatest WWF gimmicks never to "make it". What exactly happened to Spivey that killed the gimmick? Also, where's Spivey these days?

Cheers,

Dann Lennard
Sydney, Australia

Dave Meltzer replies: Liz Hunter and Matt Brock were fictional. Eddie Ellner and Dan Shocket were both real people. Shocket passed away young. Spivey's knees were shot by the time he got the gimmick and just couldn't go.

DOC RIOT SAYS: Pah! I could've told that idiot Lennard that - he didn't need to ask Meltzer. But...wait, Matt Brock was a REAL PERSON. I drank tequila shots with the guy in Memphis!!! Or did I? I know I was on medication at the time. Hmmmmmmm.......so who exactly did I arm-wrestle naked that evening?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How well did you know Dan Shocket? He was my uncle. He died when I was three. any information would be greatly appreciated.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home